Sunday, January 02, 2011

Dear Diary,

Another good quote that inspires me for the year:
"Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them."
- Arnold Lobel
Hence, I made a book list of the top books of 2010 as chosen by various people interviewed by NPR (See my page Reflections of 2010). The ones I chose sound most interesting to me, so if you want to join me in reading one I think I would be more inclined to share the experience than reading alone. Dang literature degree, literature classes...Maybe that's why I don't read anymore (except to be informed).




I watched the parade today. The Rose Parade is always one of the most fascinating parades with the lengths people go to in designing a transient piece of art. I think transient art is my favorite of any art: I was there when! I saw! That is part of my memory, an experience unforgettable! I always love an art museum, gazing at pieces made permanent by time or effort, and find more joy in the gawking at it, the experience of being there, than the pieces intrinsically. The stained glass in the Detroit Art Museum--you had to see my mom and sisters standing in front of it, from the room where I was, with the vaulted architecture layered to produce the precise image I have, to truly appreciate what those windows were. Someone looks at a piece of art in its original home and I look at it on display on a platform thousands of miles away. What did you see in this piece? What did it mean to you, hanging on the wall of the hall in your castle? or was it in your castle? Did it instead live in your attic to be unloved and ungazed upon, but undisposable, like the family's black sheep?

The parade had the marching band my mom marched with when she was in high school. I liked that. I liked the connection. There were many conglomerate bands, such as the L.A. regional band, with several schools. There was a state marching band, and a band from Japan. There was a float with sousaphones before it and no other instruments. It was a good parade. It was better on HGTV because, as annoying as one has to be to be chosen for announcing a parade, the broadcast was without commercials and we always got to "listen in" on the bands.

To conclude with odd things in history or celebrations on the day, this is Silent Record week, to celebrate all things "silent", such as a record blank on both sides, or the sections of home video with nothing recorded on it. Defrag your computer in commemoration, and consolidate all the blank space on your hard disk. Honor it. It has potential.

Do you know how hard it is to find a photo of a blank vinyl record?
Put this in your jukebox and play it:


It's also 55-MPH speed limit day. It has its own day. Not sure how to celebrate this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment